Sunday, February 4, 2018

You don't know the impact


This all sort of sorted out of a negative situation.  But the outcome is beautiful.  I should probably start from the beginning.  Or some sense of a beginning.  I have a wicked sense of humor.  It takes a lot to offend me.  I have male friends so I have heard many things.  When it gets to be much, I let them know, it may not be me that actually gets offended but they are still crossing a line that other females may not feel the same, and they are entitled to it.  They aren't overreacting.  Same for racial comments that seem off colored.  So when I get offended, it's weird.  Someone sent me an distasteful ( I am putting it lightly) video.  Strangely, the video didn't offend me.  It was the presumption that this person knew me well enough to know I wouldn't get offended.  They didn't it.  Fast Forward to me actually posting it on my Facebook that I unfriended and blocked someone.  It seems arbitrary and yet, in some way it affected me. 

That's the negative

Here's the positive:

One of the comments made was from a classmate friend who I hadn't talked to in 25 years.  We will call her " Sherri."  "Sherri" and I started talking about old times.  We laughed and reflected on the kids we were and how we had evolved and grown up into the people we were today.  Then, the conversation got a little more serious.  She told me a story.  It was a day I had encouraged her.  We were having to run in class.  I was fast.  I mean...fast.  I kept up with the boys, if not beat some of them sometimes.  For whatever reason, that day, I wasn't worried about time or anything. I kept up with her.  I encouraged her.  And for the first time, she didn't walk the mile.  She ran it.  After she finished, I remembered the wonderfully silly dance we did in celebration.  As she was telling the story, the cob webs in my brain was reminding me of this day.  She said it stuck with her.  That day stuck with her for many years.  And when she struggled, she remembered my kindness. 

I happen to see an article a few days later.  It was about a child, in an elevator, getting berated by their parent.  As the child got out, a stranger said, "It's not you, it's her.".  That stuck with the child.  That act of kindness.

I had no idea what impact I had on "Sherri." However, she shared such an important feedback that I didn't even know about myself.  Give or take a behavior or two, I have been this same person.
That might not seem significant for you.  For me, it's everything.  I've been 3 people.  I've lived 3 lifetimes.  Yet, here she was, describing a child version of the person, essentially I try to be, every day.  It made me smile.  It helped me to see that while Javier had broken much of my spirit in those 20 years, I was that same person.  The comfort of knowing that was invaluable.  The reason I bring this up is because you don't know the impact you bring to someone, good or bad.  Imagine the impact you bring in a positive aspect.  Imagine how someone feels from you giving that kindness.  Sometimes, it might be the only kindness they have.  You don't know.  I hope today, we, as a society can give an ounce of kindness.  It doesn't have to be grand.  I was watching, "While you were Sleeping' last night and in the movie, there is a scene where Sandra Bullock's character is talking to Peter Ghallager 's character about being a hero.  He doesn't feel like much of a hero.  She says he is.  "You give up your seat to others".  (Him) That's not being a hero (Her) It is to the one who gets the seat.  Small acts are just as big as the big acts.  They all amount to being kinder in the world.  I hope today we can be kinder.  Maybe we can change world, one kind gesture at a time. 
Swimming UPstream by Dean Evenson and Soundings Ensemble is on.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful story. There’s another lesson here that I believe every human being who has suffered in their lives could learn from (which is everyone). And that is positivity overcomes negativity. When we are living in darkness, we have to be willing to let the light in. I was having a conversation with a good friend the other day, and we were saying people need to learn the hard way. The pain in life makes us appreciate the good so much more. Thank you for sharing. What an awesome life lesson. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this comment! I love knowing the thoughts that my readers go through. Whether it's inspired by my blog or something else entirely that goes on. Indeed. what an awesome life lesson!

    ReplyDelete