Thursday, June 8, 2017

Being witness to a journey


Yesterday, while life was still turning, someone took a big step getting back her independence.  There is such an honor to being witness to someone's journey.  I have watched "Clare" struggle as I help her to still giving her stand by assist...but she's getting stronger.  Yesterday, we had home therapy.  She no longer goes to therapy.  Now, it's a matter of her doing it.  I put on some calm music for her and she walked and did other things to strengthen herself.  If that wasn't enough, she helped me with cooking.  Now, that might seem like such a small thing.  But as I watched her cooking, making sure to hold the pan and be a barrier for her in case she became weak, I was awestruck at this person.  I have such admiration of her fighting spirit.  And while she and I have many moments of quiet, there are moments of connection, in some way.    She's not a big talker.  When she does open up, it's beautiful stories that I find out about her past.  It's beautiful stories of who she is.  Yesterday, we were talking about Genealogy and ancestry.  It was a beautiful and productive day.  It was a profound moment being witness to a journey.  And it was an honor being exactly in that space. Gently Down by Liquid Mind is on.

No comments:

Post a Comment