Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Unexpected and wonderful


So now that Lovie1 has graduated and has this place as "college home", I figured I would give him a name.  Not his real name.  A code name.  Ethan, if I had birthed a child.  And by all practical purposes, "Ethan" has always seemed like what my biological child would come out like.  He looks like me.  He has a lot of my traists.  Today was my day off.  I had a hot lunch date with Jeremy.  Our friend LT was going to stop by and check on our our game console.  It crapped out.  But "Ethan" and I were texting.  I explained I like checking up on my friends so it seemed natural to also check in on him.  He was doing great but was hoping I could bring some stuff from home.  He wasn't exactly sure of the housing place name.  But in the cobwebs of my mind when I went to UTSA, I remember a housing name close to what he was saying.  I have Google on my side so I confirmed orientation students were indeed housed at this place when I called.  And waited until he was free from obligations of school.  I was being helped by a girl who was part of the reception desk at the housing.  I had texted I was there.  And she said it would be okay to call him.  I was about to do that.  I smiled and my heart melted just being able to say I was dropping something off for my son.  I was about to call when I saw him.  I had put the items in a back pack.  Plus, two insta meals he didn't need to refrigerate.  I didn't expect a hug.  After all, we're in public.  But he did.  Because he's my son.  I asked about dinner for tomorrow.  He may or may not be home by then.  He has to stay on campus.  I told him I had put two insta meals in there for him and turned to leave and gave him a backwards air kiss.  We just talked for a little while right now. LT took a look at the console and worked his magic.  It works again.  It wiped out the game we finished but I don't care.    Again, just checking up on how Ethan's  day was, I texted him how things were going.  We talked for a bit.    I shared some of my experiences and the opportunities that come with having a college experience.  I let him know how I was proud of him.  And then proud he was going to my alma mater.  This was unexpected and wonderful.  As "Ethan" has his college experience, I will reflect on mine along with being able to share in his stories and experiences.  I did some laundry and dishes.  Now, time for more House of Cards binging.

No comments:

Post a Comment