Monday, February 6, 2017

Interesting


We had the kids this weekend.  We got onto the subject of politics.  It's interesting to see the views of those not able to vote yet.  Lovie 1 will be able to the next election.  It's amazing to listen to how they are processing their world.  I hear different things.  I'm trying to understand it all.  I'm still trying to figure out Dodd Frank.  I don't remember being this aware of politics like I do now.  I just feel like it's more important to be informed.  Now, more than ever.  Yesterday, as the Superbowl was commencing, I had heard that the Senior Bushes were there for the coin toss.  And the comments were quite interesting.  Except for a few nasty ones, the basic idea of how different we feel about a person taking office, even if we don't see eye to eye on policies.  It gave me pause on how people are processing that new normal for them.  It seems for some people, common decency has gone out the window.  I am grateful when people still respect each other.  We're going to have different views.  But we should be able to have open conversations without it turning angry, violent, or hateful.  In the digital age, some people will say mean things.  To someone's marriage, or body shaming, someone's child, and so many other things.  Do I have mean things that I say in my head? Sure.  I am not a saint.  But I don't feel the need to say them aloud.  That old saying, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" still applies for me.  I am proud of how 4 parents have contributed on raising these two kids.  They are now teenagers.  They are young adults.  It makes me smile.  I think how interesting the next few years will be as they evolve into adults.  I want to be informed for myself.  I want to be informed for my family.  I want to be informed for my kids.  That way, as we make choices, we know the best way to process and act on things.  To me, having the best information gives us the best opportunity to respond and react.

No comments:

Post a Comment