Wednesday, February 15, 2017

There's a positive out of it


I was having a great conversation about how the current climate has gotten people more aware of the political environment around them.  I check NPR as much as I would've checked Facebook.  I try researching through the real stories versus some of the fake.  I try making sense of what the future holds for us as a nation.  I talk with Jeremy about professionalism, politics, and the idea that we live in an age that nothing is really private anymore.  He made me ponder a thought of my own.  What would happen if someone was listening or recording a conversation of ours? Certainly, I don't excuse anyone's behavior.  But it did make me think of the digital age and privacy.  Jeremy, by no means wanted to defend someone.  However, he wanted me to understand and perhaps, even debate or argue the issues I have against people.  For a moment, I wondered with all the logic that does make sense what Jeremy is saying, that he can understand.  After all, Jeremy is a white male.  I am a Hispanic woman.  Now, given that information, I haven't really embraced my culture nor really had to necessarily identify with it.  I by no means want to be white.  But I've been told my behavior is anglosized.  Whatever that means.  I think it's important that we are having real conversations about what this political climate is bringing.  There's a positive out of it.  It's forcing us as a people to see the fallacies in gender equality, transgender issues, marriage equality.  See, just for a minute...take religion off the table.  Aren't we supposed to be separating religion and state? Then, what? The only one that I understand the debate back and forth is abortion.  However, even with that, I support a women's right to a choice.  Are you going to help raise that child? And where is the father? Why aren't we looking more to the other purpose who made the baby? I read the other day about an Oklahoma anti abortion bill going through.  It seems legit.  But they were calling women's not their own.  They were hosts.  It made me think...as a person in high standing "said it like it was".....give way for others who for many years stood silent worried about backlash to say such crude things feel like they have a free pass to say them? When did it become okay to say such mysogonistic, racist, or homophobic things? Like I said, there is a positive out of this.  We are having conversations about it.  More and more.  While I am uncomfortable with Michael Jackson's past, it does give pause to the song ,"Change".  It seems fitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment