Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Something to think about

DOMA is gone. Whether you are for or against the decision made today...you must admit it is an important one. It marks a change in our mind set.  I've always thought about it like this.  Whether I support marriage equality or not (why by the way I do) a key question is this.  What right do I have to interfere in someone else's life.  Even if I didn't agree in gay marriages I don't feel it's my right to have an opinion on how you conduct your marriage. After all, you certainly are not going to have an opinion on my marriage.  I can understand that it makes people uncomfortable. I can even go as far as understanding and respecting that not everyone is going to feel the same way I do.  However, I get uncomfortable when we no longer speak of opinions and rather we fling insults and bash.  I know it's far fetched to believe we can discuss topics without getting into a heated debate and start bashing.  But in the end..it's what I want.  I want respect...more than anything. I want respect for each other for discussing the topics...whatever the topics are.  Perhaps that is too idealistic.  Perhaps I am dreaming. Perhaps one day we will have a more tolerable environment where people are not afraid to be themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment