Thursday, May 18, 2017

Annie Dillard


How we spend our days, is of course, how we spend our lives.  She made a sentence so simple.  And yet, so profound.  It actually reminds me of something I inherited when my Grandma passed away.  Tomorrow is her death anniversary.  I miss her.
The quote was" Life is God's gift to us.
 What we do with is our gift to God." (A.R. Bernard)
My spirituality has definitely evolved.  Jeremy calls me a deist.  I was comfortable with that label.  Especially since I didn't want a label on my spirituality.  Some days, God is God.  And other days, God is Universe, a Goddess of sorts. Back to today's quote.    It does encompass what we decide to put on our energy into.  Negative? Anger? Instead, we can spend our day in joy and in happiness.  And in the positive.  It was a conversation I had some time ago that reminded me to stay the course of positive even with a negative lining.  Today, on my time line, I posted this odd quote of sorts.  There is so much awful in the world.  But if you look for it, there is much beauty and wonderful in the world.  Glass half empty or half full? Just making room for more vodka! Inspiration can come anywhere, everywhere.  Just gotta look for it.  Now, where's that cinnamon vodka again? You know me and comic relief.  The inspiration today came in the form of one of my former classmates and friends fighting in stage 3 cancer.  She had posted a picture of herself bald. What a ballsy and wonderful move.  I even used the f word without bleeping it.  But the inspiration also  came the other day with a former classmate of mine revealing the two year anniversary of her rape in a post.  It was set as a poem.  We can stay in the negative.  We can stay in the angry.  It's much harder to stay in the positive.  But we're strong.  We embrace our colorful lives and its many ebbs and flows of life.  The Aviators by Helen Jane Long is on.  We accept certain realities in our lives.  We figure out what we can live with.  What we can live without.  Sometimes that also means whom.  We find out deal breakers for ourselves and for others towards us.  We find out about ourselves.  We discover just how resilient we are.  Or aren't.  There is another story of not being resilient.  And what that means for those around them.  But that's another story.  It's important how we spend our days.  I hope we spend it well.

No comments:

Post a Comment