Thursday, May 25, 2017

Marcus Valerius Martial


LIFE IS NOT MERELY TO BE ALIVE BUT TO BE WELL

I really enjoy introducing you, if I am, to new quotes and philosophers.  It almost seems fitting for today.  Jeremy pointed something out and I had to correct him.  I mentioned it was the death anniversary of a friend who had committed suicide.  He thought it odd that I, what he perceived, celebrated a morbid thing.  I explained I don't so much celebrate as I do, acknowledge.  We don't just want to exist in this world.  We want to experience life at its fullest.  And most often, with those who can truly appreciate experiences with us.  I actually had trouble processing what the meaning was trying to convey.  I imagine there is some liberty in how a quote can be interpreted.  However, most of the times, the general message is conveyed to people.  My happiest gain from living this life is sharing stories and hearing stories of how people got to Point A to Point B and the lessons they learned.  Whether it's how they met, how they got into that career, the kind of people they met along the way, the struggles they have had.  All of it.  I learn so much from these stories.  I don't want to merely exist.  I want to experience life.  I want to travel to places.  I want to meet people with different perspectives.  And that's what I do.  And I do it with a partner in crime.  That's the best part.  Tomorrow is my 1 year work anniversary.  What a milestone.  This past year has been such an eye opener, in such a profound and good way.  I can't wait to see what's in store for us.  And myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment