Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Advocating

Yesterday was a most interesting day.  While I was at friend's open house shindig...Yes I really did just write shindig....moving on.  While I was at my friend's shindig I met a new friend.  It's funny how people enter your life or vice versa.  I was so happy to shed light on anything regarding my condition.  Although I am not an official advocate, I'd like to think that I help others understand Epilepsy and subsequently seizures just a little bit more.  I don't like it defining.  I don't really one thing or the other to define me.  I have had some interesting adventures in my life.  They are not all good.  But I don't regret them.  I wouldn't be me without those moments.  Back to advocating. I like being able to shed light on the different things that occur for someone with my condition.  First and foremost I have to figure if I am okay to drive.  It seems so simple but there are times I wake up dizzy or my head feels fuzzy. That's my tell tale sign it's not a driving kind of day. I have a great support system regarding that.  So chances are if I really need to get to point B....I've got it.  I sometimes have to remind myself to take my medicine. That sounds silly but my memory gets a little hazy.  I don't know if it's my age or something else but I work harder to remember things.  It gets frustrating.  I play it off that I'm forgetful or being spastic but it's a distraction really. I want to deter people away from questioning the condition.  It's odd. I am old enough to know that my friends accept me for me.  But I still have self conscious moments where I am scared of how people will react to anything with Epilepsy.  I am also very stubborn about help in terms of disability.  I probably have been eligible but because I have waited so long to register for disability it isn't very credible to my cause to access disability.  And I suppose for what it is worth I am doing much better and function much better than others.  Like Autism has a spectrum range I believe Epilepsy also has a spectrum range.  Furthermore, I believe I am on the higher range for that spectrum.  I still am able to drive and that is a huge thing.  So...it just got me thinking of how I live.  I don't have to have help getting dressed.  I have trouble only when I have had an episode.  And usually I just move slower than usual. Sleeping seems to help most of my issues.  I don't always feel like I get satisfactory sleep.  I have to really be careful of my stress levels.  It's small thing.  But I do have to think about them.  I can't take things for granted.  As I am getting older I have to be more aware of things that could trigger me.  That way I can still live my life.  And that makes me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment