Wednesday, August 28, 2013

50 years

It seems long ago...because in some ways it is.But in the grand scheme of things it's not that long ago.  A speech that changed people's outlook. A man that made people think.  It's hard to believe Martin Luther King Jr's speech happened today, 50 years ago.So much has changed. However, I still notice opression, bullying, and prejudice.  I wonder if people recognize that while their opinion differs it isn't their views that hurt people. It's a shame a person may have ignorant views but that isn't the problem.  The problem is the brutality...and the bullying people do because of their beliefs.  That isn't "Christian".  That isn't a person of good morals.  Least that's how I see it.  I don't know if I go so far as I respect people's opinion. I judge their ignorance.  However, I respect their right to vocalize that.  On the flip side of that I don't respect those who bully...who brutalize their ignorant views and bring them to life.  Human rights...are all kinds of rights where oppression exists.  I watch...I read..I hear of the brutal attacks that sometimes lead to death because someone was gay, or black,a woman or just...different.  Someone has a problem with you...and rather than just ignore you...they terrorize you.  It makes me wonder the parenting they are receiving.  They learn that behavior somewhere.  I don't have the answers. But I would like more conversation put into what all this means.

No comments:

Post a Comment