Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Significance of certain days

I was watching this movie last night that centered around a particular day.  It showed the evolution of a friendship.  It got me thinking on how I have days that circle me with meaning.  May 19th..the day my grandma passed away.  A few years before I met my first husband.  August 1st...the assault. October 30th the day my supervisor passed away.   Happier days...March 16th...The day I got married.  Jan 20th.  The day I met Jeremy. July 26th...the day I graduated with a Master's degree.   The point is these days mean so much to my psyche.  It got me wondering about other people and what days impact them...or is it just a me thing? I am guessing not.  I put emphasis on these days.  Whether bad or good I give control to these days to impact me.  Words are just words...until we give them meaning...Dates are just dates...until we give them a memory.  It's like having a movie clip in my mind.  I watch the clip roll...I find myself smile, cringe, sigh, or laugh.  Flashback memories...they call them. I am triggered by them.  It can be a positive. It can also be a negative.  I am learning to leave them as just that...just a memory,  It takes time though.  And second chances.  Ah movies...between the song playing in Silver Lining Playbook and the date centered in One day...It just got me thinking....Have I got you started now? lol

1 comment:

  1. I have my journal, which I write in not-so-routinely. But I also have an actual diary, you know, the kind with a page for each date. Except, the diary spans many years. Every now an then, I open it to the current date, write down what year it is, and I write an entry in it. It's an amazing way to have a not-chronological journal. Your significant dates remind me of that, as they span years, even decades. That one day of that one year marks a shift change for you. And yes, we all have them.

    ReplyDelete