Friday, January 22, 2016

Purpose

The man who is happy is fulfilling the purpose of existence. ~Fyodor Dostoyevsky

I thought about that today. Purpose.  Because of my flexibility as a housewife, I have more time on my hands.  Granted, housework and errands tend to beckon.  However, there is only so much time that I can get through them and have time on my hands.  I read.  I am watching The Mentalist.  And I got back into a few shows like NCIS and Elementary.  Jeremy is studying right now so I don't want to be a distraction to him.  But I realized my purpose is that therapist friend.  During the day, I am constantly talking to people.  I cheer them up, advise them, or simply am an ear or place to share news...vent...or check in.  And that feels good.  I didn't seem to have success in my professional life.  And for a long time I felt like a failure with it.  I felt less than, so to speak.  It certainly didn't help with my struggles in the intellectual worth department.  Over time...and much encouragement from different people...I have recognized that my worth and purpose doesn't come from what job I have.  And that was important to recognize.  Seeing the happiness I bring to people is what reminds me that I am on the right path...in terms of purpose.  I am lucky enough that Jeremy and I are in a position that I don't have to work.  I wish I could.  But it's not a requirement.  And especially within the next year or so...it will be less of a reason to.  I'd like to go back to volunteering, possibly.  But for right now, I want to stay put and do the housewife thing.  I have a purpose.  And that is to bring my sparkle and shine to the world.  I get it now.  It's like an epiphany.  An aha moment of sorts happened when I realized this simple, yet complicated answer.  This is my purpose.  Purpose is important.  It's our driving force to things.  We want to know we are heading the right direction.  It's almost as important as connection.  These driving forces remind us why we do what we do.  Why we continue.  Why things or people...are important to us.  Purpose....purpose is what makes us the people we become.  Something to thing about today.  My birthday is coming up soon.  I was bummed to not receive my birthday gift from Jeremy in the mail today.  But perhaps, the universe wants me to receive it exactly on my birthday.  We shall see.  I already feel so blessed with so many little treats leading up to it.  That will be icing on the cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment