Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Reason why


There has been a big news story about a 20 year old guy raping a girl.  There have been many things that came out of it.  I read her open letter the other day.  It made me cry.  It made me cry because all the things she said, I understood. Some of those things she said were things I had wanted to say.  But never had the courage.  And then, it's just become a crazy circus of media.  People on internet had opinions.  That's something I try to avoid in general because anonymous people can really say horrid and painful things.  Most actually are on her side.  But there is something that has stuck out for me.  Me, being in a court room reliving my experience, me having to prove that Javier raped me, me getting questioned about what happened.  That is the reason why I didn't report it.  I was too afraid of being in a courtroom and having to prove what happened to me really happened.  That is an awful feeling to have.  And I only did a hypothetical.  So this is me, apologizing to that girl that I didn't have the courage she has had.  I let a rapist get away.  Who knows what else he has done to other women? That's on me.  So each time I get a chance, I tell my story.  Rape  is more prevalent in our culture than we would like to admit.  We chastise a female for being drunk and blaming her.  While I am not crazy one is. it's more on cringing of the fact of her odds being more high of being hurt, not blaming her.  We say things like she asked for it.  Again, while I say something along the lines of trying to avoid a situation by being at a certain place or dressing a certain way, it's more on cringing on her odds.  Courage of the Wind from David Lanz is on.  I may spark a whole new set of anger by what I am writing.  I just want us to have a thought about this today.  This is something in our culture that we need to change the mindset.  We need to teach our sons to respect women.  It's important we learn how to respect each other.  Otherwise, this will be more common that we truly want to know. Because chances are, the females in your lives have a story.

No comments:

Post a Comment