Thursday, May 12, 2016

Overcompensating


A thought occurred to me.  Sometimes my love of words and learning could be from over compensating.  I've been called dumb, flaky, ditzy, stupid.  You get the picture.  Coupled with my cognitive limitations or delay, it is a fear to appear dumb.  And so I think I overcompensated for it.  My intelligence is my insecurity.  I base a lot of my worth on how intelligent I am.  I don't know math or science.  So in that sense I am not the most intelligent person.  But I have depth.  I have insight.  I have wisdom.  And marriage of both insight and logic do help me to have this other aspect of intelligence.  Emotional intelligence is important.  I relate well to people.  That is not an easy feat.  With so many personalities in the world, it can be difficult to connect with people.  And it comes easy to me.  Math doesn't.  And so in that sense, I am smarter than others.  But what does it matter? Why does my intelligence have to be part of what makes me stronger or not? That is a good question.  Insecurities can prey on me.  And I can run away with them.  I've got to learn to appreciate my strong points.  And just work on my weaker ones.  Learning is always important.  Staying open to perspectives is important.  That is the thought that was in my mind today.  How we overcompensate and how it affects how we react to the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment